Solablog

In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence

is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office.

~ Ambrose Bierce

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"When I wake from dreaming, it's then I'm most alive."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States


Email: FoeHammer61 [at] yahoo.com

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Ear Candy

No, my friend Muzzy has nothing to worry about. I have no intention of trying to compete with his weekly serial, "Music Monday". However, thanks in part to Muzzy's Music Mondays (Note to self: Always avoid alliteration), I have decided to share a few not-so-secret MP3 downloads with those who happen to stop in and read my blog.

Elizabeth Fraser, lead singer of the Cocteau Twins needs no introduction. Ms. Fraser has a few MP3s on her site. Just click on the word "Sound" on the left side of the page. Unfortunately, due to download abuse, the Cocteau Twins took down the free MP3s they had on their website.

Sam Phillips - no, not that Sam Phillips, this Sam Phillips - is the wife of T-Bone Burnett. I've been a fan of her music since before she was Sam. Her MP3s are here and also here.

And finally, in my opinion, the best has been saved for last. Karin Bergquist of Over the Rhine is one of my favorite vocalists. She uses her beautifully melancholic voice to wring out every last ounce of emotion from each song. You can find OTRs MP3s here.

These MP3s are all found on the artists' official websites and are perfectly legal to download. If you like what you hear, be sure to buy their albums. Not only will this keep them making great music, but it will also encourage them to provide more free songs so that they can sell more albums. Isn't capitalism great!